3.10.2010

A visit from the Parents: Part 2

Day Five:

Today was supposed to be the only nice day, so I had already planned a trip to Landmark Tower in Yokohama.  Of course, I didn't take any pictures this day so I don't have any of those to post.  I will say that, for some reason, Mount Fuji refuses to show itself every single time we go to the Tower.  It's getting a bit frustrating.

Day Six:

Today was the last day that Tim had to work, so the rest of us decided to go to the end of the Miura peninsula (this is where we live) and explore the coastal area.  I had no idea what was out there or where we were going, but Tim and Patti were totally up to the challenge.

The plan was to ride the train to the very last stop, find a map at our ending local and either walk or ride the bus to the coast.  The maps we found were...less than helpful.  While one has all of the bus lines, the other has all the landmarks.  Plus, do you notice how they DON'T LOOK THE SAME?!
 
After being offered a ride to wherever we wanted by a nice Japanese man (and opting out), we got on the very next bus to pull into the station.  Luckily, this area is small, so the buses all take the same route into the city and then split off at another major station.  By this time, we'd figured out which bus we needed to get on.  On our ride, we got our first taste of the agriculture business of Japan.  We passed rice paddies and vegetable gardens.  


This area is famous for its Tuna fishing/processing, so there were boats everywhere!  99% of the boats were just pulled up on to the side like this one:
We were getting hungry, so we started walking around to find a restaurant.  Unfortunately for us, this was a small fishing village, whose restaurants believed in serving things real "fresh." I have a strong aversion to eating things that are staring at me...I thought I was going to starve.  Thankfully, at the last restaurant we looked at, this older gentleman popped his head out of the door and, in ENGLISH, told us they had a bigger menu inside! I was sold! Turns out this man had studied at the University of Michigan for 2 years and was forced to come home to take care of his mom.  He gave us a picture menu and told us to come to him if we had any questions.  Well, without knowing what all the meat was in the picture, Tim took him the menu and asked him to explain it.  His explanation: "tuna, tuna, tuna, prawns, tuna that tastes like pork, tuna with onions."  We got tuna.  It was amazing.   
After eating, he gave us a few maps, explained the area, gave us a bus schedule and sent us on our way! We ended up on a trail along the beach and then back through a bamboo-lined trail.  We got to see an old lighthouse and some sweet rock formations.  Enjoy:




Lots of uneven steps...watch yourself!


After getting back to the road, we found a bus stop and headed back to Yokosuka to meet Tim for dinner.  We ended the evening at an Italian buffet at the Officer's Club on base.  Yummy!

Photobucket

0 comments: