Slowly, but surely, we've been changing our habits. Japan was a blessing and a curse. What's familiar in such a foreign place? Fruits and veggies...and American junk food.
To get to the point of this entry, I signed us up for a produce box! So far, we've gotten three boxes. They're delivered every other week, and it's been a huge learning experience.
They come looking like this...
And then you start to peel away the greenery and you get to more of the goodies...
I'm a big fan of the kiwis, tangelos, fresh garlic, and red potatoes. Tim loves the pears, celery, carrots (straight from the ground) and the greens. Of course, there's different produce in each box, but we do have veto power. We realized we weren't really using the cremini mushrooms, so I switched them out for celery in our latest box.
In our first box, we got this red chard.
But this time we were able to order a salad mix. It saves space in the fridge!
To be perfectly honest, there were some things that we had no idea how to store, so I whipped out our big Good Housekeeping cook book and found an entire section devoted to the identification, storage and preparation of produce.
It has been a life-saver!
Tim is already being adventurous. He managed to cook a spinach quiche for the first time and he said that it turned out really well. (And before you jump to any conclusions, it wasn't the spinach that kept me away, it was the eggs. I'm just not a fan of eggs.)
I've also rejoined the Y and I have tried to make it a point to go regularly. It helps that I have overcome my fear of classes and now I'm going to kickboxing class 1-2x a week. Even though I really want to sit down 90% of the time I'm in the class, I feel a lot better at the end. I guess the phrase "no pain, no gain" really is true. :-)

2 comments:
Hey Arianna, found your blog through Jessica... love the idea of this produce box! Is it local? I'd love to do something like this, but I didn't know where to look around here. Figured since you live fairly close, it might be something accessible to me too. Love to know some details! :)
Sam
Hi Sam! You can look at their website http://www.fullcirclefarm.com/ to see what their delivery schedule is. Right now they're only offering community pick-up points in the county, but the spots seem to be pretty centralized. I'm pretty sure they deliver in your town.
We LOVE it. We get a box every other week and it's the perfect amount. I do end up changing things every once in a while (I'm currently addicted to Kiwi, so I've been substituting that into our box for the last month!) If you decide to give it a try, please put me down as the referral when you sign up, so I can get some credit! :-)
Post a Comment