Basically, my schedule directly revolves around whatever schedule Tim is working. We try to sleep around the same time, except when he's working the day shift, because I simply can't get up at 5:00am everyday. I could barely do that in high school!
Anyway, I usually spend most of the day hanging out, cleaning, cruising the internet for news and gossip, watching TV (I'm currently catching up on some American shows!), and if I'm really motivated, making dinner for when Tim gets home. (I'm still working on getting better at that whole "domestic housewife" thing...) Also, I'm not a huge fan of sightseeing or exploring too much without Tim, obviously I'd rather do that with him, so instead I'll find things for us to do together on his days off.
Sometimes, I'll go to base and hang out until Tim gets off work. Even though I'm not allowed in the NEX or the Commissary, I can still go to the library or the gym (but I've yet to do that...) and any of the food places. The last few days I've taken a book to read while I waited at "MainStreet USA," the base food court. Or I'll take the train (as opposed to our complex's shuttle service) to town and shop around blue street until I think he's close to being done. This would probably make more sense with some pictures...
Yokosuka-Chuo Train station from the street - the main train station in Yokosuka
Blue Street, its nickname because the street is blue, this is the main street in downtown Yokosuka
Mikasa indoor shopping plaza, one of a few shopping areas in downtown/on Blue Street
Womble Gate/Mikasa Park Entrance - access to the "fun" side of base (i.e. the Nex, family movie theater, bowling alley, etc.)
Main Gate - Access to the "working" side of base (i.e. the dry docks, the G.W., office buildings, etc.)
If I have to check our mail, I use the main gate. The actual post office is next to MainStreet USA, but our mail is delivered to a different building. I think it is the building that houses the offices of the liaisons to PSNS...anyway, here's what it looks like:
Exciting, I know. :-) Right next to this building is the second movie theater on base, which plays all of the PG-13 and R-rated movies. The other theater, located next to MainStreet USA and the bowling alley, plays more family-friendly movies.
I had planned on taking a picture of the boat where Tim works, but I got scared when I passed by an entire group on Navy Officers...maybe another day. (Don't worry, I'm not breaking any rules, I promise!)
Like I said before, I usually hang out at the library to wait...
I know, it looks huge, but this is actually an office building and the library takes up half of the first floor. They have a fairly good selection of books and DVDs, a large computer bay and, a newspaper/magazine room (where I almost fell asleep on some couches) and some study areas. It's a new library, so it is pretty nice.
I wish I could end this with a picture of the infamous NEX and commissary, but I forgot to take a picture . I'll try to take some more in the coming weeks of those, MainStreet USA, the bowling alley, and some of our other frequented buildings! :-)
I will, however, leave you with a picture of a seahawk. Yes, this is what the NFL Seahawks are named after and they are vicious. Many people have stories of them swooping down and snatching food from their hands. They totally freak me out and they're everywhere! Oh, and they're big. Even better.
I hope this clears up some of the questions about our daily life here. I'd love some requests about future blog posts. Does anybody have questions or requests for pictures?? Leave a comment!
3 comments:
What about a blog post dedicated to the food choices there? Definitely one of my favorite topics.
I was just wondering, I know you have access to the Commissary (sort of), but are there any household supplies (soap/detergent/window cleaners/etc) that you have to buy the Japanese version of? How have you figured them out and how well do they work?
I am interested in how you achieve the goddess look! Are there any products you will use from now on, like hair, makeup, cleaners, molasses, etc? What things have surprised you the most? What do the people look like - clothes, stollers, babies, etc.? And more classes, because the kimono blog was fascinating. Even the mundane daily life is interesting. Patti, Tim, & Laurie can now picture what all this is like in real life, but the rest of us have to wait for another chance to get there with you. I would SO hire you as my tour guide!
Love, Mom XXXOOOXXX
Post a Comment