3.16.2012

Vacation Redux - Versailles, France 2011

Our last full day with the Maguires was spent at the amazing Palace of Versailles. ::drool::

KC planned ahead and bought us tickets, so we could skip the line...
Oh, wait! This WAS our line!
 We passed the time by taking pictures!
 But Brady wasn't feeling it...
Once we got inside the Chateau, it was a battle to fight the crowds - who knew May at  the Chateau was so busy?!
McColley had to have his picture taken in the Hall of Mirrors...

And in the map room...
 AND in the courtyard...
It's a good thing we like him. :-)

After our self-guided tour of the palace, it was time for the gardens! This was the real reason I wanted to go, and probably why it was SO crowded - it was fountain season!
(That is a LONG walk...trust.)
The Apollo Fountain
Surprisingly, only ONE of the fountains dances to music...
This was my favorite fountain - the Enceladus Fountain:
We wandered through so many rows of boxwoods, but then we found this humorous statue and just had to try and recreate it...several times.  
Our final stop was the FAMOUS Neptune Fountain. They only turn it on a few times a day, mostly because they have to turn off every other fountain in the garden to provide enough water for its 99 water features.
We were really excited to join the crowd, sit for a while, and watch this amazing fountain...except...it doesn't do a whole lot and you really just spend 20 minutes watching a lot of water. 
All in all, I am SO happy that I finally got to see the Fountains of Versailles! Unfortunately, we didn't get nearly as many pictures here as I would have liked, both of our camera batteries died...but I did manage to get some extra pictures/videos on my cell phone, which I believe are still on my phone. See, I don't just procrastinate on the blog! :-)

Photobucket

0 comments: