We decided to first drive to Port Ange.les and journey into the Oly.mpic N.ationa.l For.est. I had randomly picked Hurr.icane R.idge from the city's website of places to see, because it seemed like a pretty easy journey and we could take an easy hike at the top, if it suited our fancy. As we made the 5,000+ foot climb, the temperature steadily dropped and we started looking at more snow than greenery. But good lord, the top of the ridge was BREATHTAKING. I think it's safe to say that we will be going back at some point, if just to go sledding. :-)
We stopped a few times on the way back down, which was very steep, to take a few more pictures and enjoy the warmer weather!
After finishing up at the Ridge, we took 101 westward. I admit, I did just finish the Twili.ght books, so going to Forks seemed like a good idea. As we drove into Forks, I immediately knew this was going to be an interesting drive-by visit. The first thing we saw was a sign at the Fo.rks Mo.tel that said "Edwa.rd Cul.len did not sleep here." We also saw signs advertising for blood drives, which I thought was pretty funny considering, and two stores dedicated solely to the saga. The fun didn't end there, because driving into La Pus.h, we were warned that "Vamp.ires are not Welcome." Now, I have done a lot of embarrassing things for pictures including, but not limited to stalking celebrities and asking random strangers to watch an impromptu talent show, but for some reason, I could NOT take pictures of anything in these two areas. There were however tourists lingering around the high school, taking pictures of the "sights."
After the drive-thru, we headed to the beach. I knew, from looking at the map we picked up at the park visitor center, that the only beach we didn't have to hike to in La P.ush was First Be.ach. I was glad that we did that because it was also beautiful. I am usually partial to the Ore.gon coast, but I was inspired enough that Tim and I might try our hand at hiking to the other two beaches in the area. Speaking of, we did actually try to get to Third Bea.ch, but without knowing how long the trail was with no end in sight and an 2+ hour drive back home, we both decided to try again another day.
The picture of Tim and what looks like a mound of dirt, is actually an uprooted tree and everything it decided to take with it, that we found on our hike.
After all our adventures, we headed back to Po.rt Ang.eles and ate dinner. We happened to see the ferry coming in from Vi.ctoria B.C. and got lost finding our way back to 101. All in all, it was very fun and relaxing day! We can't wait for the bridge to open up again, revisit these destination, and head to the most Northwestern point, Cape Flat.tery and Nea.h Bay. Maybe that time, I'll have more courage to actually take pictures in the TWIL.IGHT zon.e!
0 comments:
Post a Comment